In a car accident, the first thing we naturally feel is fear and expectation. We do not know how things will go, and if we are not prepared, we could make mistakes that will make us lose our rights. That is why it is advisable to inform us in advance to know how to act in these critical moments.
First of all, stay calm, and be sure to proceed with the following steps and recommendations:
- Notify the authorities: Arranging matters personally generally results in problems and total loss of your rights. Don’t make this mistake and call the police immediately. The appropriate thing for these cases is to document the clash with the authorities.
- Get all the information you need: Other information that should be noted is the license number, the insurance policy number and the company. When the police arrive, note the license plate and be sure to record the report number that corresponds to your case.
- Take Photographs: Once you are sure everyone is okay, take pictures of the car accident and any injuries someone involved may have sustained. If you can, make copies of your photos taken on a backup.
- Do not admit guilt: Right after an accident, we often put someone else at fault and even admit our own mistakes. You must be honest with the authorities and your insurer, but at no time acknowledge guilt or any statement that is taken as such.
- Call your insurer: You must notify your insurance agent the same day, no later than the next day. You will need to provide information that you will find in your notes and the photographs you have taken, if necessary.
Some additional tips after crashing
They are the most important steps you need to take, and none of them can be missed. However, we can expand the topic and cover some essential tips that you should consider before, during and after suffering a traffic accident.
First of all, and even if it seems very obvious, do not move the car or flee the scene. At the critical moment of a car accident, some people may panic and consider fleeing. However, by doing so, they would be losing all their rights and admitting guilt that will later be difficult to defend.
Always hire a Monroe North Carolina injury lawyer.
Obviously, there are times when prudence can dictate that we not stay at the scene of the accident. For example, if the accident occurs in a desert or very dangerous area since in these cases, thefts and even deaths have been reported when the individual leaves the vehicle. If you find yourself in one of these situations, it is preferable that you drive to a police station and report the accident and the reason why you have not stayed at the scene.